RSVP Extended to Friday, February 14th
Spaghetti Western Family EveningLongfellow PTA celebrates 93 years: 1921-2014
"Kick off your boots and stay a while.”
Join friends and family on Tuesday, February 18th
6 pm Dinner in cafeteria7-8 pm General Meeting and Founders' Day Spaghetti Western
Dinner $7/plate, free for children under 4
Catering courtesy of Domenico’s on 2nd Street.
Price includes Classic Italian Salad, Spaghetti and Marinara Meatballs, Garlic Bread & Breadsticks, Dessert and Beverage.
Coffee Drinks will be available for purchase courtesy of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.
Raffle Prizes including Longfellow Spirit Wear!Extra Forms Available in the Office!
Spirit Wear 50% Off Sale is BACK! Sale includes all discontinued styles. Spirit Wear can be purchased in the PTA Room located in the cafeteria on Mondays 8:00-8:30am & 2:00-3:00pm and on Fridays 8:00-8:30am.
Board Positions for 2014-2015
PTA Elections for 2014 - 2015
It’s almost election time - PTA elections that is. If you are interested in serving on the Longfellow PTA’s Executive Board, please let us know by completing the form on the other side of this paper and returning it to the school office no later than Friday, February 15. Here is a list of the elected positions that we have and a brief description of their duties:
- President - leads the PTA toward specific goals chosen by our members. Confers with officers and chairmen regarding plans for the year and progress toward set goals. Presides over all meetings and attends Long Beach Council PTA meetings monthly. Is a member of all committees.
- Executive VP - works with the President, helps with committees and presides over meetings if the President is unavailable.
- 1st VP - Parent Education - Creates, copies and disperses the PTA directory to all members. Works with President and Executive Board to schedule speakers for parent education topics.
- 2nd VP - Ways and Means - Is in charge of all PTA fundraisers. Works with the fundraising committee to organize dates and details of the fundraiser, then runs it.
- 3rd VP - Membership - Create, along with the President and Executive Board, a membership theme. Run the membership campaign - sending out membership envelopes, collecting the envelopes and money, tracking memberships and sending out membership cards.
- 4th VP - Parent Coordinator - Works with teachers to gather room parent information. Create and keep the room parent list. Be the link between the PTA and the room parents.
- 5th VP - Link (PTA newsletter) Editor - Works with the President to determine publication dates and theme. Collects submitted articles, and PTA information, format, print and deliver newsletter to all students.
- Auditor - Audits the PTA’s financial records three times a year to determine the accuracy of the books and records of the financial officers. Detect and recommend correction of errors.
- Treasurer - Serves on (as the budget committee chairman) and meets with the budget committee and the President before the school year starts. After getting the input from the budget committee - develops a carefully considered budget as a financial guide for the year. Collects all check requests and creates a monthly report which is presented at the monthly meetings. Makes the motion to pay all bills which have been presented. After receiving authorization from the Executive Board and general association, pays the bills and writes authorized checks. Prepares the monthly financial report and presents it to the Executive Board and general association at the monthly meetings.
- Financial Secretary - Collects all monies turned in to PTA through membership, fundraising etc… and deposits them into the PTA account.
- Recording Secretary - Attends all meetings and takes the minutes of all Executive Board and general association meetings. These minutes must be entered into a bound book. The minutes are the legal record of what takes place in the PTA meetings.
- Historian - Assembles and preserves the record of activities and achievements of the PTA and assists the President in preparing the Unit Annual Report. The historian is also the chairman of the Honorary Service Committee and helps with the Founder’s Day Committee.
If you are interested in any of the above positions, please fill out the form on the back of this sheet and send it to school with your child. It will be given to the PTA’s nominating committee for consideration. There are 19 other positions that are not elected but appointed so if you would be interested in doing something else beside the above let us know. Please note that as of the date of the election, you must have been a Longfellow PTA member for 30 days. So, if you are not currently a member, but are interested in serving on the PTA executive board next year, you must send in your membership money by February 19. Just make a check out to Longfellow PTA (or enclose cash) for $8.00 for each person you are signing up as a member. We need the name of each member, the members phone number and address, the name of your Longfellow Student(s), his/her room number and the total amount you are enclosing. Then put it all in an envelope with the words PTA membership on the outside of the envelope. Please send it to school with your child to give to their teacher. If you have any questions feel free to contact the PTA via email or you can leave a message on the PTA voicemail.
2013 - 2014 Longfellow PTA Calendar (Dates are tentative and subject to change)
2013-2014 Longfellow Elementary PTA Calendar
(These dates are tentative and are subject to change)
29 - Kinder Orientation
4 - First Day of School
16 - 20 - Book Fair
17 - Moms and Muffins
18 - Back-to-School Night
24 - PTA General Meeting
11 - Jog-a-thon
15 - PTA General Meeting
25 - Trunk or Treat
28 - Nov. 1 - Red Ribbon Week
15 - Family Movie Night
19 - PTA General Meeting
20 - Membership Ice Cream Social
21 - PTA General Meeting
18 - Founder's Day Meeting
18 - PTA General Meeting
15 - PTA General Meeting
13 - PTA General Meeting
19 - 23 - Book Fair
20 - Dads and Donuts
22 - Open House and Bake Sale
3 - PTA General Meeting
2013-14 Longfellow PTA Board
Welcome to the Longfellow Lion's PTA Site.
We hope you can find all the information you need here on our site. If there is something you would find useful, that you do not see, please let us know.
Were you looking for that flyer that was in your student’s Wednesday folder? Hooray, you can find it here!